Welcome to Year 4
The class teachers are Mrs Doyle 4D and Mrs Vanstone and Mrs Owen 4VO.
Our teaching assistants, and the inclusion team support class lessons throughout the week. We are also very grateful to those parents who give up their time to help us in class.
Have you seen the Kids' Zone? Play games, and visit some cool websites. You can vote for your favourites!
PE and Games
Year 4 pupils must wear a change of clothing for PE and games activities. A navy T-shirt and navy blue shorts are required and trainers or similar footwear. Navy t-shirts may be purchased from YC Sports
. Children will not be allowed to participate without suitable clothing.
Days for PE:
Every Friday and either Tuesday or Thursday for both classes.
During colder weather, tracksuits or other warm clothing may be worn. Boys will require football boots, as will any girls participating in football or rugby activities after school.
Every week we will endeavour to give your children a spelling list and Maths problem solving homework.
Some children may find the maths challenging, so please could parents ensure they sit down and help their child with it. This needs to be returned by the following Wednesday.
Your child can continue to develop their maths skills taught each week, by accessing their own 'Maths world' at Active Learn
. Each child has been given a username and password. The school code is qlq7.
Spellings need to be practised daily for a test every Friday. The spelling will be differentiated and uploaded to the website as well as a paper copy.
If you would like to join the Lakeside snack club, a letter with the cost will be sent in due course. There is a wide variety of fruit to choose from including kiwis, melon, tomatoes, cucumber, bananas and apples.
To increase pupils’ confidence in communicating clearly with a variety of audiences including teachers, peers and familiar adults in everyday situations.
Our Science based Context for Learning this term is called 'Burps, Bottoms and Bile' and will be investigating the jobs our amazing bodies do every time we eat or drink!
We will learn to:
- use good manners, respect the needs of others and show a responsible attitude.
- listen carefully and respond to more complex instructions correctly.
- use the Internet and research books to carry out context based research in school and at home.
- use a thesaurus to extend vocabulary.
- learn all about coding and use this to develop games within Scratch.
- recite 4,6,7,8 and 9 times table instantly and confidently.
- use an I-pad effectively.
- continue to write neatly using a handwriting pen to produce joined script and underline with a ruler where appropriate.
- extend writing by including adjectives, adverbs and more complex punctuation, as well as more complex sentences.
- read more sophisticated texts with expression, fluency and accuracy.
- develop the skill of editing and re-drafting work in order to improve the standard.
- become confident at applying literacy and numeracy skills across the curriculum.
- continue to use our everyday Welsh vocabulary with 'Helper heddiw'.